Monday 26 October 2009

Welcome


A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song

At last, finally got my laptop and belatedly got round to creating my first blog!

Ill jump straight in and start talking about my first project at uni which is based around food. At first I found this subject quite daunting but after a frantic brain storming session, I decided I would concentrate on the concept of genetically modified foods. As I starting point I spent several days researching the subject and looking at the pros and cons of this concept. I wanted to make my project visual and decided to create several models out of fruit which had a mechanical modified appearance to them resembling "Frankenstein" fruit. These were inspired by the work of Jim Bond and Tim Hunkin.

Clockwork apple

When the pineapple ripens it will fall....


These were created using parts from electrical devices which I dismantled and rebuilt into the fruit. This is the first time I have ever tried anything like this and I was pleased with the results.



After talking to hazel I decided I would try to make the models more interactive to include switches, lights, moving parts etc. I may also look at making a permanent model out of clay.

The good thing about making the models out of fruit was that as they rotted they would take on a new form and identity. I constantly recorded these changes and will use these images as I continue through my project.




No comments:

Post a Comment